Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Catching up







I am very happy I finally got to speak with all of you yesterday. We have today and tomorrow as free days so I will able to read through your comments (keep them coming) and post some of them. Four of our group went on safari today and tomorrow at Tsavo East. Tsavo is the largest game park in Kenya. I decided to hang out at Mwamba (‘mwamba’ means rock in Swahili and ‘a rocha’ means rock in Portuguese) and catch up with you and actually try to relax and not doing anything for a few days. I am not sure if I remember how do relax but I will give it a try.

I have told you about the monkeys but not much about what the environment is like on the coast. Mwamba is located about 3 degrees south of the equator so it is technically spring. There is not a wide temperature range throughout the year. December, January, and February are the driest months while May is the wettest month here. The hot and wet weather makes for an amazing array of plants and animals. I have included a picture of a spider that has been hanging out by the main building the past several days. And yes, it is that big. It is over six inches long and its web is over five feet across. It seems that everywhere I look I see a new insect crawling around, even the four inch long flying cockroach that came to visit our bathroom yesterday morning.

I hope all the projects and papers are coming along. I am very much looking forward to hearing about what you have found out this past two weeks when I get back next week.

Question of the day: What are the main countries that people come from who visit Kenya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The majority of the visitors to Kenya are from Europe.